Bay Area Bike To Work Day
April 30, 2019
There’s no denying that biking is great exercise, and biking to work instead of driving or taking the bus is great way to help reap some of those amazing physical benefits. Residents of the apartments in Pleasanton, CA, will have yet another reason to make this a part of their regular routine, as Bay Area Bike to Work Day provides the perfect reason to get started (and a great jumping off point for making a bike ride part of the everyday schedule). Today, we’ll be looking at the amazing benefits that biking to work provides, along with offering up some details on Bike to Work Day so you can get prepared and get involved.
Why Bike to Work?
You might be wondering what the big deal about biking to work is, and we’re more than happy to fill you in on the matter. The reasons you’d want to bike to work are numerous, as sources like Thrive Global are quick to point out:
- You can save money by using less gas and not spending as much on vehicle maintenance (or having a vehicle at all).
- You can get a bit of a workout in before you’ve even started your day, saving money on gym classes and boosting your mood in the process to boot.
- As you cycle, you’ll tend to lose weight and improve your cardiovascular endurance.
- You’ll get to skip that jam-packed morning traffic, saving yourself a giant headache and potentially saving some time as well.
- You’ll reduce stress and anxiety, as physical activity releases chemicals within the body that help alleviate tension. What’s better than starting the day with a clear head?
- You might qualify for a reimbursement from the government, as riders who “bike to work at least three days a week” can receive a monthly sum to use on maintenance and repairs for their bike.
- Biking allows you to skip out on that daily hassle of looking for a parking space. Even if there’s no bike rack at your place of business, a sturdy pole works just as well for securing your ride.
- You can get a breath of fresh air on your way to work, instead of languishing in the fumes inside your car or sitting in the mix of bumper-to-bumper traffic.
- You can sharpen your mind, as daily physical activity tends to improve your memory and ability to learn, while staving off the cognitive decline that may come as you age.
- You can easily incorporate biking into your schedule even if you don’t own a bike, through rental programs and bikeshares available in many locales.
- By joining the “cycling community” you help increase the total number of bikes on the road, making cyclists on the whole more visible and helping to improve safety conditions for all.
- By biking instead of driving, you’ll help reduce emissions and make the air cleaner for everyone.
- For those intimidated by biking to work, there’s comfort in knowing that this is a part of your routine that you can ease into. Do it one day a week to start, then gradually up that number until you’re doing it every single day.
- Biking provides flexibility, as you can always bike partway to work, then mix in public transportation to cover greater distances.
- Biking is a “freeing” experience, allowing you to soak in the majesty of your surroundings like few other modes of transport can.
- Of those numerous benefits, you’ll want to pay attention to the advantages biking can provide to your health the most. [As noted by Forbes:)https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2017/04/25/new-research-indicates-cycling-to-work-has-extraordinary-health-benefits/#34a61f443e62)
“Commuters who cycled to work had a 41% lower risk of dying from all causes than people who drove or took public transport. They also had a 46% lower risk of developing and a 52% lower risk of dying from cardiovascular disease, and a 45% lower risk of developing and a 40% lower risk of dying from cancer.”
That alone is reason to consider whipping out your bike, and if you’re ready to get started, Bay Area Bike to Work Day is just that chance you need to ease yourself into the groove.
More About Bike to Work Day
This year will mark the 25th iteration of Bay Area Bike to Work Day, and will take place on May 9th. This is a celebration of the many benefits of biking to work that we mentioned earlier, and an invitation for those who don’t normally bike to work to try it out and see if it’s something they’d want to consider adding to their routine. At the same time, it’s a way for the cycling community to advocate for improved biking infrastructure around the area and to promote safety for cyclists on the whole.
In 2016, nearly 135,000 Bay Area residents participated in the event, and this year, you’ll have the chance to add your name to the long list of those who are part of the cause. The premise is simple, as you may have already surmised — just get on your bike, and use it for your morning and evening commute. Supplementing your ride will be BTWD’s “Energizer Stations,” Strategically placed sanctuaries throughout The Bay offering up beverages, snacks, and a heaping helping of motivation to assist you in the goal of finally making it to and from work on your bike.
As we mentioned before, this is the perfect opportunity to get out there and try biking to work if you haven’t done so before — you may discover you like it, at which point making it part of your everyday will be the logical transition! And if you’re already keen on what biking to work can do for you, you’re probably ahead of the curve in that regard. Just remember to take the pledge to ride, so that you can support future events just like this and keep the cycling community in The Bay Area strong.
Biking From the Apartments in Pleasanton, CA, Makes It Easy
You’ll want to note that biking in towns like Pleasanton is an absolute joy. The wide open spaces (along with the fact that the area has been continuously designed and refined for cyclist convenience and safety) make incorporating a bike ride into your daily routine much more feasible than it might be elsewhere. Top that off with the thrill of living in gorgeous apartment communities like Vintage, and you’ve got what just might be the cyclist’s perfect environment. Come see what the buzz is all about; check out the wonders of Vintage, and make this your new home in the glorious East Bay.